Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Would you like a BLONDIE?

I made these blondies twice in three days.  Why?  Because the first time I made them (not the first time ever, but the first of the two times), I used a certain specialty pan that was given to me as a gift, and IT RUINED MY BLONDIES.  So, as I was seeing the same group of people both times, I was determined to make them again, both to make sure the recipe hadn't failed me, and to try and restore my baking reputation. 

The first time I made them, they came out greasy and clumpy, even though I was sure I followed the recipe perfectly.  They were still served to the friends (at the hubster's insistence), and they were eaten, but not by me.  The second time, I went back to my standard pan, and they were perfect. 

I don't really know what happened with the first batch.  I'm a little gun shy with that specialty pan, so I may never know.  And no, there were no pictures of them.  It would have just looked like a big pile of nastiness anyway.

So, here's the goods:


Blondies

Source: America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

Makes 24 blondies

1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups packed (10 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar
2  large eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (3 ounces) white chocolate chips
1 cup (4 ounces) pecans, toasted and chopped [flour pile note: i don't like nuts in stuff like this, so i omitted them and added a little extra of both of the chips.]

1.  Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 13 by 9-inch baking pan with a foil sling and grease the foil.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. 

2.  In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together.  Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until combined.  Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated.  Stir in the chips and nuts.

3.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.  Bake the blondies until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 22 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.

4.  Let the blondies cool completely in the pan,set on a wire rack, about 2 hours.  Remove the blondies from the pan using the foil, cut into squares and serve.

And, because I've been good about not spilling lately (not by anything I'm doing on purpose!), I have a doozy for you:

That's the front of my shirt and my leg.  It was quite a bit of flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment