Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A rose by any other name....



They may not be the prettiest girls at the party, but they will probably be the most popular.

I have heard these cookies called many things:  trashcan cookies, kitchen sink cookies, and, monster cookies, just to name a few.  I don't think it matters what they are called, these things are really really good, and fun to make!  They give you the opportunity to dump whatever the heck you want into the dough, and they pretty much come out great!  This particular blend had marshmallows, oats, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and rice krispies, all rolled up in a peanut butter cookie dough. 

These cookies are excellent for pleasing a bunch of stagehands.  I know this for a fact, because I made them for a friend, who got us some tickets to a show.  The show was great, the cookies were well received, and all was good. 

I found the original recipe for these cookies here, but I made a few little changes.  First, I omitted some of the oats, and subbed in some rice krispies.  Honestly, I wouldn't do that again.  The oats were nice and chewy, but the rice krispies got kind of hard and I didn't really like the texture they added.  I also didn't add the chocolate drizzle on the top.  I thought about it, but the cookies were pretty rich on their own, and while the drizzle would have been pretty, they didn't need it.  You could easily add different ratios of the various chips, or different ones entirely.  The marshmallows are tasty, but they don't make or break the cookies.  I printed the original recipe below, with notes about my changes.

Marshmallow Monster Cookies
I made the cookies big, and I think this made about 30 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups quick-cooking oats (I used 1 cup oats and 1 cup rice krispies)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup mini marshmallows

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and both sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time on medium speed, then beat in the vanilla.  Add peanut butter and mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
  2. Stir the oats (and rice krispies), chips and marshmallows into the dough with a wooden spoon. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 3 inches apart (fp note: these suckers spread!). Bake the cookies until golden, 8-10 minutes. (fp note: if you make these bigger, like i did, they take about 12 minutes to bake)

No comments:

Post a Comment