Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Winner of the day


"You win today". 

That is what Peter said to me after eating one of these cookies.  Like a lot of the things I bake, I took these cookies to work with me on a morning when we had a particularly early call for a rehearsal.  I thought the guys could use a little picker-upper.  And I was right.  And you know what else?  These cookies did win that day.  They are so good.

The cookies are called Jumbo Hot Chocolate cookies, and I originally found them here.  I liked the original recipe, but when the blogger mentioned using hot cocoa mix with tiny marshmallows in it, I knew I had to make a modification.  You see, I adore marshmallows.  I especially adore them when they have been melted onto a cookie.  The first time I did that, it was for s'mores cookies, which are also good and I may post someday.  For those cookies, you bake the cookies naked until they are a few minutes from done, then put mini marshmallows on top and allow them to melt while the cookies finish baking.  The end result is a cookie with a melted blop of marshmallow on the top.  So good.  Since I like the marshmallow on the s'mores cookies, I figured I would also like it on these hot chocolate cookies, and I was right!

If I had had white chocolate chips in the house, I would have added them to this.  As it was, I went ahead with milk and semisweet chips and I liked the combo.  I think white chocolate chips would have made a nice addition.  The next time I make these, I may add other things, like peanut butter chips, or mint chips.  Mint would be especially nice around the holidays, at least in my world. 

These cookies really are jumbo.  The amount of dough you end up with will make about 22 really big cookies.  I used just shy of the 1/4 cup of dough the recipe calls for, and mine came out about 4" in diameter, and about an inch thick.  These cookies are not messing around.  But man, are they good.

Jumbo Hot Chocolate Cookies
makes 20-24 large cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 cup flour
1/2 to 2/3 cup of your favorite hot cocoa mix (don’t use sugar-free)*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
20-24 large marshmallows (optional)

* fp note: i used 2 packets of regular old hot cocoa mix (trader joe's brand), and it was between 1/2 and 2/3 cup.  i could almost use more of that flavor, so next time i think i'll add a 3rd packet.

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients slowly, making sure it is all incorporated. Then fold in the milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips (and white chocolate chips, if using).
  3. Using a 1/4 cup measuring scoop, place the dough on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Give them space to spread - 6 cookies per sheet is good.
  4. If topping with marshmallow, here's what you do:  bake the naked cookies for 12 minutes, or until they look like they are about 4 minutes from being done.  After 12 minutes, take the pan out of the oven (or just slide the shelf out) and stick a marshmallow on its side on each cookie.  Return to the oven and bake for another 3-4 minutes until the marshmallow is melted, puffy, and a little browned on the edges.
  5. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. 
Another note:  the marshmallow makes these sticky.  Don't stack them on top of each other or they will all stick together.  Still tasty, just messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment